As a red-blooded Mexican woman, I cannot tell you how much I crave some good Mexican food. ALL THE TIME! However I live in Denmark and authentic Mexican food hasn’t quite made it here yet. Perhaps some day *sigh*…
Anyway, I was craving a good burrito or a taco but I have to stick to my cutting diet and hit my macros. So, much like my Delicious Bunless Burger recipe, I decided to ditch the extra carbs of the tortilla wrap and focus on all the filling yumminess instead. WIN! 😀
This recipe is just a template, so go ahead and add, mix and match the ingredients to fit your own taste. I used organic, canned kidney beans without any additives, but you can easily use any bean of your choosing and also make them fresh. I wish I had the foresight to make fresh beans, but I’m quite spontaneous and unpredictable in the kitchen, so I usually have the canned beans at hand to make it snappy.
Also, I marinated my chicken in achiote paste, which is a spice blend that is typical of Yucatán where my family is from. It has a very distinct and savory taste that really gives the meat that authentic flavor, gorgeous red color and brings this salad up a dozen notches. If you can’t get a hold of achiote paste, then you could marinate it in the spice mix of your own choosing. Or you could try marinating the chicken in minced garlic, salt, pepper, ground cumin, ground clove, a bit of olive oil, lemon juice and cayenne pepper or minced chipotle chilli.
The best thing about this salad is not only that it tastes great, it’s nutritious and it’s filling, but that one serving has approximately 410 calories. This makes it a great low-calorie dinner option if you’re also cutting for the summer, and it isn’t the typical chicken and broccoli combo. Yay! 🙂
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 125 gr. chicken breast, cut in thin strips
- 100 grams red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 50 gr. of broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 avocado, diced.
- 15 gr. low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 25 gr. low-sodium Chunky Tomato Salsa
- 1 tsp. achiote paste (if using)
Quick tip: you can also add jalapeños, corn, coriander, onions, or even make your own Pico de Gallo salsa. Just remember to calculate the extra calories. 😉
- Dilute the achiote paste in 2 tbs of vinegar (I used apple vinegar) and the juice of 1/2 a lemon, add a dash of salt and pepper. Once diluted, add the marinate to the strips of chicken breast and let stand for 10 – 15 min, covered in the refrigerator.
- In the meantime, wash and prepare all your vegetables. If you are using canned beans, remember to rinse them well with cold water and let them air dry.
- After the 10 -15 min have passed, place the marinated chicken strips in a non-stick pan and cook over a medium to high heat. Stir often.
- While the chicken cooks, put all the vegetables and the beans in a bowl and mix them. You could add some lemon juice if you feel you need the extra flavor.
- Serve the salad on a plate, place the chicken on the salad, add the toppings and the avocado.